Thursday, September 14, 2017

Sept 14th - Great Falls to Bozeman, Montana

We awoke in Great Falls to the sound of falling rain, and a forecast of little change throughout the day. For several of us, this was our first experience of driving our E's in steady rain all day. A few lessons were learned...

Lesson 1 - just because your parking lot is covered, doesn't mean your open topped car doesn't need covering...

Our route took us south on Hwy 87 and Hwy 89. The rain was steady, but progress was good apart from several stoppages for road works.


A long line of E-Types wait for the flag to fall on Hwy 89
As we headed south on Hwy 89 the altitude steadily increased until the summit was reached at over 7000 feet. By then, the rain had turned to snow. Close to the summit, we were halted again for road works....

Debbie and David with the convertible top up - a first on 7 Oil Leaks...

Waiting to proceed at the summit on Hwy 89. It's your choice whether you zoom in on the individual standing to the right...

Summit of Hwy 89 - do zoom in on Christine's left had to see a very small snowman!
Soon the snow turned back to rain as we descended to our lunch venue in White Sulphur Springs. It was great to get inside out of the cold and wet to enjoy a relaxed lunch with no time pressure. The food was good and helpings generous...

Now that's a wedge salad!
After lunch we continued our drive to Bozeman, Montana via a variety of routes and reached our hotels by mid-afternoon. We had been invited to join Gary and Nancy Herzberg and family for drinks at their home in Bozeman. Gary participated in the North-West Oil Leak in 2012 in his FHC E-Type, and has been involved with the local Going To The Sun Rally for many years. We were made to feel very welcome in their magnificent house. In particular, the family's Goldendoodle (Golden Retriever/Poodle mix) Pepe was a great hit with everyone and stole a few hearts! We all had a great evening, and hope to meet up with Gary, Nancy and family again tomorrow in Yellowstone.

Entryway of Gary and Nancy's magnificent home

Gary (back to camera) talks with Drew, Don and Christine
And so, it was back to our hotels to rest prior to tomorrow's final leg to Yellowstone National Park. The likely rain and snow tomorrow has caused us to modify our route plans to avoid  the high passes at close to 11,000 feet where significant snowfall is likely. The good news is that this should give us more time to explore the park and it's many attractions.

Wembly has a bed all to himself this evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment